Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Hit the Sack" - Dublin

For this edition of "Hit the Sack", I'd like to offer my hostel suggestion for Dublin. I've been to Dublin twice and stayed in hostels both times. The first time was awhile ago and I don't remember much of the hostel except that it was North of the Liffey River, which is considered the more "shady" part of town. The hostel wasn't bad, but on my second trip to Dublin I wanted to try something else, so I did some research and found that the Avalon House is consecutively rated one of the top hostels in the world. Well, that sounded promising. It's located back several streets, but rather close to Grafton Street (which is VERY central) which is part of its appeal. The building itself is beautiful - old brick and everything. It's a very cozy hostel and the staff are super friendly. And like all hostels, it's cheap, with rooms starting at €14 a night! (cheaper on week nights obviously). For this trip, I was by myself so I really wanted some privacy. I got a private room for not much more (maybe €10 more) and it was so worth it. Although, my neighbors were kind of noisy one of the nights but I don't blame that on the hostel. ;)

Breakfast is complimentary but they also have more things to buy in their cafe if you so desire. The only thing I didn't care for was having to store your luggage in one main room and in order to go in you had to wait for the designated "luggage room times" that they had set up. I'm not sure if they do that anymore, but it was kind of a nuisance to deal with. Most hostels have a lack of places to store things, though, so that's something to look into when you do your research. Overall, this place is great. It's popular though, so make sure you book in advance! You'll be glad you did.

No comments: