Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NYC Recap Part I

February 27th

Arrived in airport at like 6:30 VERY tired. I maybe slept an hour on the flight. Oh well. I knew that I wouldn’t get too much sleep. Went into the bathroom to freshen up a little (put in my contacts, wash my face, etc.). Still felt gross. Had to go out and get my luggage which meant leaving the terminal so I couldn’t hang out there. I guess I could have hung out there but I didn’t want them to discard my luggage if I waited too long. So, I ended up going to the check in level for JetBlue and trying to sleep there for a little bit. I dozed for several hours. Then I went and got some coffee and some food from Dunkin’ Donuts (we need more of these on the West Coast).

At 9 a.m., Romain arrived to meet me. YAY. Much joy ensued. We hung out around the airport – he got some food and then we both played this Nascar racing game. LOL. Then, afterwards this random airport security guy congratulated me on my win and then later asked me to show him how to play the game. Uhhh why do only creepy guys hit on me?? WHY? I did see plenty of man meat in the city but most of them were gay (at least it was good of Romain to point out that they were before I got my hopes up :P). Anyway, I politely told the guy to shove off (by telling him it’s a pretty straightforward game – you push the pedal and turn the steering wheel while going around loops. Seriously, I hate Nascar. But it’s fun to drive for 2 min and hit as many dumb cars as you want) and then Romain and I thought it would be fun to make a sign for Emily and wait next to all the people with limos. I had brought my Tokidoki journal so the paper was bright blue and I think the limo guys thought we were mocking them. Romain got a dirty look from one when he said a little too loudly that he thought limos were “tacky”. xD Uh oh. Not a good start for NYC!

Finally, Emily showed up and we all got on the subway (after buying a week pass metro card) to head to our hostel, all our luggage in tow. Unfortunately, I was stupid and didn’t realize that the check in for the hostel in Brooklyn was 3:00 p.m. We got there at 1ish and didn’t want to keep hauling our luggage everywhere so we decided to take the subway further east towards Romain’s apartment on Covert St. By this time, we were getting really tired and hungry, so we put our luggage in Romain’s room and then walked a block down to this FANTASTIC Chinese takeout. Seriously, why is it that the places that look the most dingy are the best places to eat? This place was called No. 1 Restaurant (that’s the exact spelling, I might add) and the place to order food was about 3x3 feet. LOL. And there was tagging all over the place. I loved it. And the food was cheap. SO DELICIOUS. I got a dumpling wok meal and Romain told us that their homemade ice tea was really good so I got some of that and it’s like LIQUID CRACK, PEOPLE. OMG so delicious! So, after eating we decided to take a little cat nap before we would head out into the city for the MoMA (which is free Friday nights). Oh, and by the way, Romain's roommate Christopher has these two cats named Khyssa and Sammy and they are the cutest things EVER. They certainly made our lounging around time more enjoyable. I'll put pictures of them below.

The nap helped for a little bit, but I had been up for about 30 hours at this point (since I had to drive straight from work to the airport) so I was starting to feel a little wonky at this point. But, the walking in the cold kept me alert – we passed through some areas (like Time’s Square and 5th Avenue) before getting to the MoMA (which was pretty packed; and unfortunately we were led to believe we had to check in our coats when we didn’t have to. So we stood in this long check in line before realizing that we didn’t need to. Blarg!). We saw a couple floors – the 3D design was great. I love the cool furniture pieces that people come up with. I also like the really obscure modern art, like bits of couches shredded and a thing hanging from the ceiling that looks like a bull’s penis that is ironically titled “Little Girl” in French. LOL. Art is great. We loved making fun of stuff like the huge white canvas that was mounted on the wall. Also, both Romain and Emily don’t like Jackson Pollock, and I agree he’s kind of “cool” to like, but I like some of his stuff anyway. The Warhol stuff is there as well and most of it is ok, though I don’t gravitate towards him immediately.

But that was pretty much all Emily and I could take. We were exhausted – and it was free so we didn’t feel like we were wasting money by not staying very long. We finally were able to check in after getting our luggage and I fell asleep almost instantly, lol. We had a big day the next day.

Pictures below:




The sign we made for Emily. the donkey thing is a long story so I won't get into it now. :P


This is Sammy. He's adorable.


This is Khyssa. She's one of those old Egyptian cat breeds (forgot the name) and she's like the slinky of cats. Compact and stretchy.


She loves checking out drinks for some reason.


Romain's street.


One of the interesting furniture pieces at the MoMA. A "lettuce" chair.


The blank white canvas.


Ripped couches as art?


the "little girl". xD


Walking through Time's Square.

No comments: